Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 08:43:00 +0100 (MET)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: To pick a (perl) fight!

It seems that Mark Murray said:
> What are the reasons we do not now have Perl5 in the main tree? I have
> a query from one of our more perl-literate users who made the suggestion
> that Perl4 should be in ports/.

1. Perl5 is far too big for us to maintain it in  the main source tree, the
   installed files take this:

6368    perl5
627     perl

2. the building process  is far more complex  than Perl4 used to be because
   of all the extensions available in Perl5.

   There are many things I doubt we can change into Bmakefiles.

3. Perl5  sources, as of  5.002 are more then  6.6 MB worth where  Perl4 is
   around 2 MB.

Having Perl4 in the  tree in a good  thing because it is   small and not  a
moving target anymore. Perl5 would bloat us.

Don't take this  wrong, I'm a Perl  fan and I'm use Perl5  as much as I can
but I really think we should not take it  under our wing.  The port is easy
enough to compile/install and  the package  is there  for people  who don't
want to compile it.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.frmug.fr.net
   FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #6: Mon Mar 11 20:18:10 MET 1996