Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 10:54:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        bope onrt <spy211@hotmail.com>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions

[These sorts of questions should be directed to
questions@freebsd.org]

On 25 Jan 1997, bope onrt wrote:

> HI,im a new unix user and just wanted to no about when i connect
> to the internet is it possible for a person that trys to connect
> to my ip will they get on?

Yes, that is always a possibility with any computer connected to
the Internet.  The default configurations for FreeBSD are
pretty secure, but you can always improve on things.

> And could you send me some thing please
> about firewalls.

There is a section in the FreeBSD handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/handbook) on enabling the firewall
support in FreeBSD.  More generally, the book "Practical Unix
Security" by Simson Garfinkel and Gene Spafford, published by
O'Reilly & Associates is a good resource.

> and one more quick question would you please tell me
> how i can find how i find how to save stuff to my hd and tape drive

For general backups, dump, and its companion restore, are the
best.  Tar works too.  The details of using these programs
depends somewhat on the type of tape drive you have.

-john