Date:      Tue, 3 Jun 1997 18:51:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Matthias Buelow <token@wicx50.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de>
To:        ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu (Guy Helmer)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Security problem with FreeBSD 2.2.1 default installation

> I just checked the bugtraq archives and found an exploit for sperl4.036
> and sperl 5.00x on FreeBSD was posted April 21!
>
> I guess no one watches bugtraq?!?

I was already wondering when I freshly installed 2.1.5 half a year ago that
sperl 4.x was still setuid (I remember that Perl's unsafety was already
known at least when I was still running 2.1.0 and I also remember some old
CERT advisories mentioning freebsd ages ago).  Since then it has become
routine for me to chmod 0 sperl/setuidperl etc. and I'm really wondering
how there could be people left who don't know of that ancient hole?  I mean,
even some of my clueless Linux friends know about the sperl vulnerability. ;)