Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 15:44:39 -0500
From:      "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
To:        "'jos@catnook.com'" <jos@catnook.com>, FreeBSD-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: console problem

> and I can also
> switch to different
>
> Same here on this morning's kernel (PST) on a Dell Precision
> 420 SMP system
> (Intel 840 chipset).  The problem appears to also be present
> on an SMP kernel
> built on Nov 25th. No problems with UP kernels.
>
> It seems to be an output-related problem because I can login
> blindly to the
> machine to start X. Also, when I press Ctl-Alt-Del to shut
> the machine down,
> the "missing output" (banner, login prompts, shell
> prompts/commands) suddenly
> appears on the console.

I was seeing the problem on my 2x550Mhz machine yesterday, but the
machine died of other causes before I could fully track it down.
What I found is that the timeout function of syscons
(scrn_timeout()) stops getting called after a certain random point
during the processing of the rc scripts.  It happened most often
when the network was being configured.  Without this timeout, the
console never gets updated except when flushed by a kernel printf.
As you noted, input still works fine.  Unfortunately, I wasn't
able to track this down any farther.

Scott