Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 21:40:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   New 205 install problem.

Firstly, a caveat - my dists are about a week old, as pulling that much stuff
on a daily basis is a no-no 8)

With the 5/6/95 19:00 install images, prettymuch everything is a goer.

Jordan, something to add to the Hardware FAQ - I have a video card that
wedges IRQ 9 in text modes, and thus 2/9 is a bad choice for network cards.
This is non-obvious.

"Q:  When I try to (FTP,NFS) install, all I get are ed0: device timeout
     messages.  Your software is impossible to use!  (  8)  )

 A:  Is your network card using IRQ9?  If so, try moving it to another
     IRQ, as some video cards will interfere with IRQ9. "

(sorry)

Having just exterminated cron (by unmounting /usr from under it 8)
I have determined that /usr has been created with the wrong permissions.
(022 is a bit bizarre 8)

This leads to all sorts of unpleasant (and insidious) side effects.

Any idea why the root filesystem is being mounted as /dev/sd0a rather
than /dev/sd0s4a?

Also, if the network link (as I mentioned in my last message) is down,
routed dumps core at startup.  I don't really expect that this will
be fixed in -RELEASE, but it's worth knowing.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[