Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2002 10:56:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        "Tim J. Robbins" <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>, <freebsd-standards@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: standards/36076: Implementation of POSIX fuser command

On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Peter Pentchev wrote:

PP>On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 12:10:03AM -0800, Tim J. Robbins wrote:
PP>>  On Mon, Mar 18, 2002 at 10:38:42PM -0500, Garrett Wollman wrote:
PP>>
PP>>  > This script breaks when the argument to -M contains shell field
PP>>  > separators.
PP>>
PP>>  Thanks for the info; here is an updated version of the script that
PP>>  fixes this problem, as well as a problem in the output format caused
PP>>  by my misreading of the standard (the output is the same as Solaris now,
PP>>  except that it seems to use tabs where I use spaces).
PP>
PP>I must admit that I am a bit wary of having a shell script wrapper;
PP>there are many ways a shell command could go wrong - field separators,
PP>backticks, variable expansions...  IMVHO, a Perl script might make
PP>things a bit more secure.  What do others think?

Nice move to start a bikeshed... Any script in any language can go wrong
if badly written. If correctly written shell scripts are by no means more
insecure than perl scripts.

And they don't depend on perl beeing installed :-)

It would be helpful if you'd name your concrete concerns with Tim's
script.

Regards,
harti
--