Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:11:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad audio question

It was mav (Alexander Motin), he proposed those hints
after I complained that sound stopped working after
update. He wondered how I got sound to work
in the first place, with hints I had previously.

I don't think pushing those specific hints somewhere
would be so beneficial, subtle hardware revision could
change  pin associations. (e.g. Your friend's T500?)

I don't think man page is missing something, it's
verbose and exhaustive, with 4 examples of hints
for various purposes. (The truth is out there! heh.)

The problem is, most people don't want (or don't
know they need) to swap line-out and speaker
functions, to split headphones and mic to separate
device etc.

They do not know why default pinout is not working
as it should, and what they should change.

They just want to have headphones and speakers
working as intended :)

But I'm afraid this can't be directly addressed, as
possibilities of default wrong pin associations are
"endless".

If you think otherwise you are free to submit PR
as well :)

best regards,
- Jakub Lach

PS. I suspected that If by chance my device.hints
will "just work", the "pedantic engineer" in
you would be silenced somehow :P