Date:      Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:56:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Stephen J. Roznowski" <sjr@home.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CCD questions

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Stephen J. Roznowski wrote:

> I'm looking at the tutorial on building CCDs at
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/formatting-media/x205.html

I am the author of said document ;)

> It seems that this page needs to be updated to include the FAQ
> entry between the ccdconfig and newfs. [I don't remember the
> error I had before I did the disklabel...]
>
> 	# ccdconfig ccd0 32 0 /dev/sd0c /dev/sd1c /dev/sd2c
>
>      >> # disklabel ccd0 > /tmp/ccd.label
>      >> # disklabel -Rr ccd0 /tmp/ccd.label
>
> 	# newfs /dev/rccd0c
>
> Is this really the case? [If so, I'll send-pr a correction]

ccdconfig manufactures a disklabel when you create the stripe, so you
don't need to adjust the disklabel.  The subdisks must have disklabels,
and you can't use the C partition since ccd only uses partitions of type
4.2BSD.

> Also, "newfs -v /dev/ccd0c" yields
>
> 	newfs: /dev/rccd0c: `c' partition is unavailable
>
> but "newfs /dev/ccd0c" works. Why is this?

ccds are goofy.  They're not real devices.  If the tutorial says to newfs
rccd then that is a problem.

My tutorial needs rewriting anyway, I'm not sure it works on 3.X anymore.
It completely ignores the existence of fdisk -e, for starters, and the
sysinstall options have moved.  fdisk -e is _too_ useful.

> Finally, the CCD homepage at http://stampede.cs.berkeley.edu/ccd/
> seems unavailable. Is this temporary or permanent?

CCD is deprecated by vinum.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org