Date:      Sun, 22 Feb 1998 19:10:04 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

In message <199802221752.KAA24429@mt.sri.com>, Nate Williams writes:
>> > FreeBSD's problem is that everyone has 'broken' the tree enough times
>> > that no-one is willing to brandish the 'big stick' to whack people for
>> > making bad commits.  If you've got no negative feedback, then you've got
>> > no reason to test changes.
>>
>> More to the point, it's far more damaging to alienate and potentially
>> lose an existing volunteer than it is to have the tree occasionally
>> broken, as much as I might whine about that from time to time.
>
>To a point, I agree.  But, if that is indeed the case, then why isn't
>Terry a committer?  He may damage the tree, but we're definitely
>alienating him.
>
>We can't have it both ways.  Either we have an *enforced* policy of
>actually punishing offenders (which may offend them and cause them to
>run away), or we don't have any policy at all and so claiming to have
>one only alienates and makes us look foolish.

The reason why I for one doesn't think Terry should have a commit bit
is that he is what we en Denmark calls "An ego-tripper", and on top of
that, he will try to drown people in his own dialect of jabber-wocky if
they happen to point out that truth and/or reality is not the same as
what he preached from his soapbox.  Finally you have the choice of a
"Because I say so" or a long winded, obfuscated and very often entirely
wrong explanation from him if you ask him for details.

I short, nothing I want to spend my spare time wading through.  And even
shorter than that:  I don't trust Terry with a commit bit.

Apart from the NetBSD core team, I don't think anybody rivals Terry in
number of arms the FreeBSD core team has streched out at him.  The
reasons that bar him from being more involved with FreeBSD than he is
at present, are entirely within Terrys power to address.

<SOAPBOX>

Of course I'm sure, some people will see this as the final clenching
proof of the FreeBSD core team being an evil-spirited brotherhood,
trying to keep the innocent away from the treasure etc etc etc

If you think so, please create a alt.conspiracy.freebsd newsgroup, and
leave us alone here to improve the OS that runs your news server.

If you guys would get out of my mailbox with your noisy irrationalities,
maybe I would have more time to hack code! :-(

Thank you!

</SOAPBOX>

"Drink MONO-tonic, it goes down but it will NEVER come back up!"