Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 17:31:01 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: man.cgi links in FAQ

Alexander Langer wrote:

> Thus spake Ben Smithurst (ben@FreeBSD.ORG):
>
>> links to man.cgi.  Does anyone have a good reason why these can't
>> be taken out and shot^W replaced with the &man.foo.1; entities, or
>> whatever is appropriate?  (Sometimes <filename>, there are a few links
>> to man.cgi?phones(5) and so on.)
>
> To, be honest, I'd love to see these replaced, and --for HTML
> formats-- the &man.; entities link to man.cgi by default.

I'd love that too, but you'd need to cope with the situation where the
&man.foo entity is already witin a link.  In the FAQ, for example,
&man.foo is sometimes used within a <question> tag, which then becomes a
link from the list of questions at the start of the page to the question
and answer itself, if you get what I mean.  If there's a way around that
though, something like this would be great.  I guess you could just not
put the link to man.cgi in this case, it wouldn't matter much for these
rare cases.

Nik?  Any other SGML/DocBook/whatever guru?  Is something like this even
possible?

--
Ben Smithurst                 / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D
FreeBSD Documentation Project /