Date:      20 Sep 1999 21:00:08 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of mbuf clusters

Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net> writes:
> Actually, I have to agree with Joao here. Advice is good, but when it
> takes on such a condescending tone that borders on insulting the asker
> for their presumption to run an IRC server, it isn't very useful.

We're not talking "presumption to run an IRC server", we're talking
"presumption to run an IRC server while clearly lacking the experience
necessary to do so".

You can set up a {web,ftp,mail} server, or whatever, and expect to
come under attack maybe a few times per year (or per month if the
contents you carry are high-profile). By contrast, IRC servers come
under attack (mostly DoS, but sometimes also penetration attempts)
multiple times every week (every day on EFNet). Are you ready to face
three days of continuous UDP flood at a sustained rate of 10 Mbps
while serving 500+ clients? Been there, done that, though people
usually don't believe me when I tell them about it.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no