Date:      Mon, 24 Nov 2003 10:34:40 -0500
From:      "Matthew A. Lee" <matthew@myfables.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Newbie question with Squirrelmail 1.41 and IMAP

I just recently installed 4.9 on a fresh server.  I was also
installing squirrelmail 1.41 from the ports directory and also imap-uw
(imap4rev1).  I pointed my virtual server to the squirrelmail
directory.  I can get the login prompt, but when I login with a
username and password, I receive an error message that says unknown
user or incorrect password.  On my console, it tells me the login
has been disabled with whatever username I use and auth=username
and host=127.0.0.1.  It prefaces the error with imapd[151].

I looked at the pkg-message in imap-uw and it says that by default
imap will not accept unencrypted logins.  Since this is just a test
server, I dont mind using unencrypted logins, but I dont know how to
install it so it will work without them.  Or, I am not certain of
what I need to do in order for it work with encrypted logins.  I
looked at both the squirrelmail site and washington.edu's site on
imap, but I dont really see the solution.  It is probably something
very simple that I am missing or that I am doing incorrectly.  Still,
any light someone may be able to shed on this or to point me in th
right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

matthew