Date:      Fri, 25 Dec 2020 17:08:09 +0100
From:      Michael Grimm <trashcan@ellael.org>
To:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: git and the loss of revision numbers

Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de> wrote:
>=20
> Michael Grimm:

>> Correct? If so I wonder how future security advisories and errata =
notices will be composed. Will there be a date of the commit besides its =
hash being reported?=20
>=20
> For over TWENTY YEARS, FreeBSD advisories have already contained
> the date when the problem was corrected, e.g.:

Ups, sorry for my fading memory ;-) I must have concentrated solely to =
the revision numbers and descriptions in order to find out whether to =
recompile or not.

> I think it is safe to assume that this practice will continue after
> the switch to Git.

Thanks to all who responded and helped me to understand what to expect. =
Pointing me to git-rev-list(1) has been very helpful.

I came to the conclusion that I will name my BE by date and time of =
latest pull before buildworld or buildkernel, e.g. 2025_0955. That will =
help me to make decision as mentioned above.

With kind regards,
Michael