Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:02:02 -0400
From:      "Naram Qashat" <cyberbotx@cyberbotx.com>
To:        <freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Question regarding QEMU's networking

I was wondering which method of networking works better with QEMU, tuntap or
user-mode.  Currently I'm using user-mode networking.  My system is running
an Intel Pentium D 2.8GHz with 2GB of RAM.  I run Windows 2000 as a guest
inside QEMU.  Lately I've been experiencing the following problem with QEMU:

During normal operation of the system (everything but QEMU being mostly
idle), QEMU has no problems.  Inside QEMU, I run mIRC under Windows 2000.  I
run QEMU at a -19 nice level.  QEMU is running under a user account, not
root.  When something outside QEMU (such as me running an emulator or even
doing a portupgrade) starts to take up some of the CPU, after a couple
minutes, mIRC will lose connection with the message "Software caused
connection abort [10053]".  Reading up on this, it seems this is a Windows
Winsock error message meaning it disconnected because it didn't get a reply
back within a timeout period.  Strangely, I could be disconnected just a
second or two after receiving a message from the IRC server.  This only
seems to happen when the system isn't completely idle (unless it's only QEMU
making the system be at 100% CPU, then there is no problem).

So the real reason for my question is wondering if using QEMU's tuntap would
work better and stop this problem from happening, or if it'll still happen
anyways.  If it would help, I plan on using the clone_interfaces option of
rc.conf to add bridge0, and then add my network interface (nve0) to the
bridge, and make /etc/qemu-ifup activate the tap device when it makes it and
add that to the bridge if needed.

Thanks,
Naram Qashat