Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 09:45:24 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

From: peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
> > > The only system I've seen that has worked with autoedited files... and
> > > this will really make you cringe... is Microsoft Windows. Their config

> +> Actually, the samba config files have the exact same format as the
> +> MS-Windows config files. It is a well-known and simple format.

> Since Samba is designed to interface with Microsoft Windows, that's not
> surprising.

Whatever. I haven't asked Andrew why he chose that format, so I can't
comment on his motives. But why is irrelevent, it is a useful format.

> I really hate the conceptual integrity problems in the INI files.
> But because of them discovering after the fact that they needed to sequence
> events, it may or may not be. This violates the principle of least surprise.

You hate MS's implementation? or the concept of NAME=VALUE in general?

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 3 Hansom Drive, Merrimack, NH  03054
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...