Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:28:37 -0600
From:      Steve Price <steve@havk.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Kevin Lo <kevlo@FreeBSD.org>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/textproc/gaspell Makefile ports/textproc/gaspell/files patch-aa

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 12:17:35PM -0600, Ade Lovett wrote:

> > This port uses the GNOME libraries and doesn't require the control
> > center or the desktop environment to run.  At least I'm assuming
> > that to be the case.  Why isn't this a legitimate use of USE_GNOMELIBS?
>
> Because it's not part of the GNOME core distribution.  On reflection,
> providing anything other than USE_GNOME in bsd.gnome.mk was a mistake,
> and will be rectified soon.

Requiring every port that needs GNOME libraries to install all of
GNOME would be like requiring every port that needs the QT libraries
to install all of KDE. :(  Isn't there anything we can do "rectify"
this?  Something similar to what we currently have?

> Heavy duty restructuring of both GNOME itself, and the ports as
> a result.  Some code disappearing, other stuff being added, and
> the whole enchilada (x11/gnome) being split up into chunks.

Splitting things up in chunks sounds like a good thing.  It also
sounds like we might still be able to get away with only requiring
bits of GNOME instead of the whole thing for every port.  I haven't
seen the later versions but if you need an extra set of eyes I'd
be glad to help.

> Once the beta2 sourceballs come out, I'll finish off the updates,
> and you'll see what I mean -- I think I have a shot at largest
> number of ports upgraded in one commit :)

Cool.  Can I help you test the changes?  I finally got my dual
PIII-550 back up here at the house so I have lots of horsepower
and a couple of big drives itching for something to do. :)

-Steve