Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:10:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-standards@bostonradio.org
Subject:   Re: MAXHOSTNAMELEN redux

<<On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 01:49:26 +0000, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> said:

> This change seems to make it even more likely that people will forget
> whether MUMBLE_MAX includes the NUL or not.

I chose to conform to the definition of {NAME_MAX} because it was the
one I was staring at when I wrote the aardvark.  I could just as
easily have used {LOGIN_NAME_MAX} or {PATH_MAX}.  I think the
common-sense interpretation when one speaks of the ``maximum length''
of some string is that it is the maximum value strlen() might return,
and doesn't include metainformation.  (Ghu help us when we get around
to doing internationalized domain names!)

There should probably be a limits(7) manual page which describes all
of the system limits.

> If I were defining this sort of thing (hah!), I'd have *_LEN as
> definitions without NULs and *_SIZE as definitions with the NUL.

foo_MAX was chosen because the namespace *_MIN and *_MAX were already
reserved by ANSI C in the <limits.h> header file.

-GAWollman