Date:      Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:47:09 +0000
From:      Bruce M Simpson <bms@spc.org>
To:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@dclg.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Knowing a route multiply.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 10:58:47AM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
> This works on Linux ... and fails miserably on FreeBSD.  I would like
> to change this behaviour to either a) replace the route with the
> interface route or b) know two routes for a destination and choose
> one.

Have you tried filtering the route on Router B to ensure it doesn't get
added in the first place as a workaround?

Have you run 'route -nv monitor' during the process and observed what
the sequence of events is as far as the routing socket is concerned?

a) I'd be curious as to whether an RTM_ADD or an RTM_CHANGE is issued
in this case.

Strictly speaking, RTM_CHANGE shouldn't work, but it does... according to
Keith Sklower's paper on the original 4.2BSD routing implementation, changing
the destination/next-hop of a route isn't allowed.

b) is the ideal behaviour but we can't implement until after 5.2-RELEASE
is out the door.

BMS