Date:      Sun, 16 Sep 2007 01:40:23 -0700
From:      Peter Losher <Peter_Losher@isc.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   BIND performance under FreeBSD 7-CURRENT

--------------enigEF0342819F6957260431579E

As some of you know back at BSDcan 2007, I made it known that we had
seen BIND9 performance suffer under FreeBSD and that under threaded
build on SMP systems, Linux had blown FreeBSD out of the water in terms
of performance.

As it's now (well was) EuroBSDcon, one of our engineers re-ran the query
test I mentioned back at BSDcan and it looks like the work kris@ has
spearheaded has paid dividends.  Re:

-=3D-
Last night I built a disk with the August snapshot and re-ran the test.
FreeBSD performance is indeed much improved -- almost as good as Linux.

fbsd-7-current (200704)        44K queries/sec
fbsd-7-current (200708)        84K queries/sec

Gentoo Linux (2.6.20.7)        93K queries/sec
Fedora Linux (2.6.20.7)        87K queries/sec

Disk-to-disk copy speed is 90 MB/s for Linux and 20 MB/s for the
April snapshot of FreeBSD; it is unchanged for the August FreeBSD
snapshot.  This is reassuring because the zone files should be
in memory and disk performance shouldn't be an issue.

In any case, FreeBSD-current has greatly improved between April
and August.
-=3D-

(FYI - the disk controller on these boxes are mpt Serial SCSI)

Not quite there, but a significant improvement nonetheless.  If anyone
needs more information about the test, let me know.

Best Wishes - Peter
--=20
Peter_Losher@isc.org | ISC | OpenPGP 0xE8048D08 | "The bits must flow"