Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:14:17 -0800
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-perl@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Certain perl ports overlapping with perl-5.8.2 install

[Admin note: sent to perl@ and ports@ to hit a slightly wider audience
initially - replies to perl@ only please]

With my dinkering around with perl5.8.2, I've run into something of a
problem.

A number of ports, so far I have found:

	converters/p5-MIME-Base64
	devel/p5-Storable
	devel/p5-Test-Harness
	devel/p5-Test-Simple
	devel/p5-Time-HiRes
	net/p5-Net
	security/p5-Digest-MD5

are also part of the lang/perl5.8 port.  Some of the ports are newer
than those in perl5.8, others are the same, still others are older.

However, what this does mean, that the following sequence:

	cd ${PORTSDIR}/lang/perl5.8; make install
	cd ${PORTSDIR}/{one-of-the-ports-above}; make install deinstall

will end up removing parts of lang/perl5.8 port, resulting in much
hilarity.

With our local ports tree, I've simply added code to these ports to tag
them as BROKEN for appropriate PERL_VERSION value, and then start the
slow slog through the rest of the ports/packages we build to adjust
dependencies accordingly, when a port tries to bring in one of these
"troublemakers" as a dependency.

This is a pretty disgusting hack, so I'm soliciting comments as to the
right way to do this.

-aDe