Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:43:33 +0200
From:      "kimelto@gmail.com" <kimelto@gmail.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can I resume the perl upgrade?

Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On Friday, April 10, 2009 11:17:00 -0500 Paul Schmehl
> <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com> wrote:
>

>> According to /usr/ports/UPDATING, if you want to upgrade to perl5.10,
>> you do
>> the following:
>>
>> Portupgrade users:
>>     0) Fix pkgdb.db (for safety):
>>         pkgdb -Ff
>>
>>     1) Reinstall perl with new 5.10:
>>         portupgrade -o lang/perl5.10 -f perl-5.8.\*
>>
>>     2) Reinstall everything that depends on Perl:
>>         portupgrade -fr perl
>>
>> My machine got rebooted right in the middle of step 3.  Is there a
>> way to
>> resume where I left off?  Or do I just start over?
>
> Let me rephrase.  I don't see a way in portupgrade to start over where
> I left off.  However, pkg_info -R lang/perl* shows that all my ports
> depend on 5.10 and no ports are still depending upon 5.8.  Is it safe
> to assume that the reboot happened after portupgrade had finished?

Nope. With this info you can assume that step 2/3 worked. Not the step 3/3.
I dont know how to restart at the stage it was before reboot as I dont
use portupgrade.
Personnaly, as portmaster failed with some ports and abort the whole
update process, I wrote a simple sh script which loop over the packages
which need perl (got via the via pkg_info -R, need reordering
thought...), exec portmaster ${PKG}, and keep a list of which reinstall
succeed and which failed.

Regards