Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 09:51:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ESS Maestro not supported and no power switch.

Recently, I got a good deal on a new laptop and I have found that a
fair amount of it's hardware is well supported.  There remain two
naggling bits:

The sound card doesn't show up as pcm0 (which I have put in the
kernel).  I do get the following:

chip2: <ESS Technology Maestro 2E Audio controller> irq 9 at device 13.0 on pci0

... but I'm gathering that pcm0 doesn't support that ... since it
doesn't show up.

The other is that there is no "off" switch on the laptop.  Yes, I have
examined and tried many BIOS settings and tried several combinations
of things, but there appears to be no off button.

Is there code (or a patch) to cause FreeBSD to shut off the power
apm-wise when a halt is finished?

Dave.