Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:34:47 +0100
From:      gaf <moak@bredband.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [Fwd: Re: Installation - More user friendly]

Hello everybody.
I´ve been reading all comments onthis subject and just wanted to add my
opinion. A couple of months ago i was only using windows. Only for
downloading stuff and listen to music. My windows skills extended only
to install windows and applications, I never messed with regedit or
whatever it´s called. So I have a very limited os experience/skills.
However I got sick of microsoft and wanted to try something else and I
stumbled on FreeBSD. Without much reading of the handbook I found it
quite simple to install. Even configuring X was no problem. My biggest
problem was that I didn´t know my hardware, monitor specs and so on. I
did the installation a couple of times to practice and I have´nt had any
big problems at all with sysinstall. After that I tried to install
Debian Linux and found it more difficult.
It was after installing FreeBSD my problems started, to configure
things. Now I need to spend a lot of time, that I don´t have (according
to my girlfriend), reading  the handbook (which I sometimes find
confusing) and searching other sites for information. Also choosing apps
is complicated, which to choose?!.
So my conclusion is that installation is no problem, the handbook told
me everything I needed to know. If somebody wants an OS and at the
sametime learn it thoroghly FreeBSD is perfect but it will take some
reading. I want to learn. If I wanted to be up and going quickly and
only klicking my way through, I  would stick to XP. I have also tried
Mandrake, it is easy to install but one must still read and learn if you
only know windows. So I go for FreeBSD to learn thoroughly (not popular
with my girlfriend).
I hope I haven´t insulted anyone or anything (except micro.....).
Kind regards
Nicolas