Date:      Wed, 17 May 2006 11:30:27 GMT
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@mod3.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: www/97233: [patch] Change the "Report a Bug" link on the home page

The following reply was made to PR www/97233; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin@mod3.co.uk>
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Subject: Re: www/97233: [patch] Change the "Report a Bug" link on the home
	page
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 12:19:57 +0100

 On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 03:16 +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
 > On 2006-05-13 23:51, Gavin Atkinson <gavin@mod3.co.uk> wrote:
 > > The FreeBSD.org home page currently has a "Report a Bug" link
 > > in the "Shortcuts" section.  While I'm not even sure this
 > > should belong on the first page potential users see, without a
 > > doubt it shouldn't link directly to the form that users should
 > > fill in
 >
 > Why?  This would make it more difficult to locate the form for
 > submitting new bug reports :(

 Because in my opinion, anybody submitting a bug report for the first
 time would benefit from reading the information on
 http://www.freebsd.org/support/bugreports.html before submitting one -
 and once you're on that page it really isn't hard to find the "submit a
 bug report" link.  This is vaguely connected to pr www/97234 as well.

 I also don't think "Report a bug" looks good where it is on the front
 page.  Explicitly listing it second of the six quick links on the front
 page has the potential to suggest that it's a link new users may need a
 lot - not something that we want to suggest!  In no way is "Report a
 bug" as important as the link to the Handbook or the ports information,
 especially in the context of somebody considering trying FreeBSD for the
 first time.

 I fully appreciate that it's an important link to have readily
 available, although I would still question the sense of linking directly
 to the submit form rather than giving the option of searching (which may
 reveal a solution to the issue the end user is seeing without even
 needing to submit a new PR).

 Thanks,

 Gavin