Date:      Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:21:48 -0800
From:      W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
To:        Doug@gorean.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: empty lists in for

From: Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>

> 	John Polstra already pointed this out, and Bash handles this like you
> would expect. There is a difference between expanding an empty list and
> trying to expand a list that isn't there.

Convince me that nothing like the following exists in the
ports framework and /usr/src and I'd be ok with a change
*after* 4.0 release (repeats himself)

# Makefile.foo

FOOVAR=

  .
  .
  .

BARVAR=${FOOVAR}

baz:
     for i in ${BARVAR} ; do \
	 ${BLAP} $$i ; \
     done

To me, changing it right now on the eve of -release
would be gratuitous. Later I would be fine with it.

I still prefer /bin/sh being able to handle an empty
literal list but would yield to the desires of others.

--
Jerry Hicks
jhix@mindspring.com