Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 16:09:56 -0800
From:      Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@freebsd.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Heads up, a bit:  ephemeral port range changes

Mike Silbersack wrote:

> As we have a RELENG_4_5 branch, I see no reason that I should hold off on
> the change.  It's mostly unimportant, not gratuitous.

I agree.

The problem is the persistently inappropriate semantic label "STABLE" applied
to the RELENG_<digit> branch.  It isn't stable -- gratuitously updating on
a weekly or daily basis is for hobbyists.  It's known to break things now
and then.

The idea of holding pending MFCs until we're in RC stage is far worse.

If you're interested in stability, you'll track RELENG_4_5, as Mike
suggests.