Date:      Wed, 5 Sep 2001 12:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com
Subject:   Re: local changes to CVS tree

In article <15254.31457.818766.916542@nomad.yogotech.com>,
Nate Williams  <nate@yogotech.com> wrote:

> > Any chance of getting CVSup to transfer from a remote repository
> > to a local vendor branch, instead of from a remote repository to
> > a local repository?
>
> The problem is that you aren't just transferring bits from the HEAD, but
> from multiple active branches.  As John already stated, CVS doesn't
> handle multiple 'vendor' branches well (and in this case, the FreeBSD
> tree has vendor (CSRG) branches, FreeBSD vendor branches (RELENG_2,
> RELENG_3, ..., contrib vendor branches (TCSH, GCC, etc..)
>
> CVS is simply not setup to do what you ask. :(

No, Terry's idea is sound as long as you only try to track one branch
of FreeBSD.  I.e., you consider FreeBSD to be your vendor, and you do
a checkout-mode type of fetch from a branch of the FreeBSD repository
and directly import it onto your own vendor branch.  This would meet
the needs of a lot of people, e.g., companies who make products based
on FreeBSD.

I have had this on my to-do list for a long time, but I have no idea
if or when it'll ever get implemented.  It would require a focused
period of working on it that I just don't have these days.  Maybe if
the economy gets worse ...

John