Date:      Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:35:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backplane identification

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

>> Looking more closely, those backplanes should probably be chained:
>
> They must be chained if you want the system to behave correctly.  The
> maximum parallel SCSI stub length is ~2in. which I'm sure is shorter
> than your backplanes.

Yeah.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I've been using scsi stuff since
'96, so I really have no excuse.  I know that you always chain from drive
to drive, I don't know why I did it like this...

So my problems probably start there, and end with IBM crap drives.  Does
anyone else here have any stories to share with Adaptec/DPT raid
controllers and IBM drives?  The other systems that I've had problems with
drives going to "failed" state were cabled properly, but also exclusively
used IBM drives from the "dark years" of IBM and/or Hitachi.

Thanks very much,

Charles