Date:      Tue, 28 Apr 1998 12:19:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@alpine.net>
To:        Jason McKay <jasonm@webace.com.au>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice Needed, Stallion???

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998, Jason McKay wrote:

> We wish to run up to 64 modems under FreeBSD, we are thinking about buying a
> Pentium 300, 128megs of RAM, 4 Gigs HD with a Stallion EasyConnect (with 64
> ports).
>
> Is this a good idea, or a waste of money?

I would get a pair of Livingston PM230 terminal servers instead.
They would cost about $950 each (or so), but they would be a lot
less trouble and clutter.  In my opinion.

> Any advice, views etc. would be appreciated.

You can put the RADIUS server on your server, and authenticate for
any number of terminal servers.  It might be somewhat more awkward
to scale up the modems-on-server approach.

FWIW :-)

All the best,

-Richard