Date:      Tue, 7 Nov 2000 21:04:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Sam Zamarripa <samz@oz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP/NAT/TCP Question

Sam Zamarripa writes:
> I am using FreeBSD 4.2-BETA and PPP NAT to share a dialup connection on my
> Lan. My question
> is..certain TCP options such as MTU, Path MTU, RFC1323, etc..are they all
> independant on the machines on the lan or are they all dependant on the NAT
> machine?
>
> A specific example would be..if I wanted to set an MTU of 576. If I set the
> MTU of 576 on a Windows machine but the FreeBSD box doing NAT is still MTU
> 1500, is the windows machine using 576 or 1500 in that case?

Not sure what you're asking. MTU's apply to network interfaces,
such that packets larger than the MTU passing through the interface
must be fragmented.

If your internal Win98 machine has an MTU of 576, then it will
be sending 576 bytes packets out, so the FreeBSD machine will
not have to fragment them further. If it was the other way
around, they would get fragmented.

-Archie