Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2010 15:10:17 +0200
From:      Olaf Seibert <O.Seibert@cs.ru.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   mountd has resolving problems

I just upgraded a box from 8.0 to 8.1, and already when rebooting with
the new kernel (i.e. before installing new userland), I got the
following problem.

Of course many of the messages scrolled off screen, but some were
preserved in the syslog.

Sep  9 14:26:51 fourquid mountd[839]: can't get address info for host XYZ
Sep  9 14:26:51 fourquid mountd[839]: bad host XYZ in netgroup vbgroup, skipping

Mountd was run and wanted to determine which hosts to export to.
However, it could not resolve any of them. So, that suggests some
network issue.

However, I use a static IP address (no DHCP) and static info in
/etc/resolv.conf, using one of the university's name servers. So
resolving should always be available.

Running /etc/rc.d/mountd restart so far always solved the export
problem.

I have also seen (presumably similar) issues with mounting NFS file
systems, but that was deemed so fatal that the boot was aborted. A mount
``by hand'' of the affected file system also worked.

Any ideas? Maybe with the new kernel the network interface is a bit
slower in coming up, and not fully working by the time /etc/rc.d/mountd
runs? In fact, I now notice this sequence of messages in
/var/log/messages:

Sep  9 14:26:51 fourquid mountd[839]: bad host XYZ in netgroup vbgroup, skipping
Sep  9 14:26:51 fourquid mountd[839]: bad exports list line /xxxxxx
Sep  9 14:26:54 fourquid kernel: fuse4bsd: version 0.3.9-pre1, FUSE ABI 7.8
Sep  9 14:26:54 fourquid init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Sep  9 14:26:55 fourquid kernel: nfe0: link state changed to UP

so here the network interface takes a full 4 more seconds to come up,
after it was already needed.

I can try to put a 10 sec delay somewhere, but there should be a better
solution...

-Olaf.