Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2017 11:58:06 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another 11.1-RELEASE install minor annoyance (ntpd)

On 12/10/2017 06:53, Kent Kuriyama wrote:
> What is happening is that your system clock is so far off that ntpd starts
> up and then shutdown because the time delta is too great.
>
> I just enable ntpdate.  In /etc/rc.conf I have the lines:
>
> ntpdate_enable="YES"
> ntpdate_flags="-b"     # Causes ntpdate to step the time regardless of delta
>
> Reboot the system, this should fix your problem.
>
> Kent
>
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 7:32 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
> wrote:
>

>> I dunno what went wrong here.  During my fresh install of 11.1-RELEASE
>> I explicity selected that I wanted ntpd to run, and sure enough, in my
>> /etc/rc.conf file I see the line:
>>
>> ntpd_enable="YES"
>>
>> but "ps -ax | fgrep ntp" shows nothing running, and the time on this
>> system is way way WAY off.
>>
>> What did I do wrong?
>>
>> Is this another case where I have to poke an appropriate hole in my
>> Linksys E4200 router config, ya know, to make NTP work?

Nowadays, use of ntdate(8) is discouraged.  The upstream has been
threatening to delete it from the distribution for years.

Instead, just give ntpd(8) the flags that allow it to reset the clock by
an arbitrary amount on startup.  In /etc/rc.conf thats:

ntpd_enable="YES"
ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"

All your Linksys needs for NTP support is to allow UDP to any, port 123.
 And the response packets, obviously.

	Cheers,

	Matthew