Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 1996 21:30:49 -0500
From:      He Who Urges Ampersands <arensb@cfar.umd.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium Notebooks & FreeBSD/XFree86

From: stein@ife.no (Stein Morten Sandbech)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 96 17:07:45 MET
> I'm planning to test the Texas Instruments 5000 series machines more, probabl
> after easter. I've just verified that FreeBSD 2.1 runs, but have no experienc
> with XFree86 as of now. I do expect some problem as these machies use a newer
> video chip from Cirrus Logic, the GD7542 (compatible with older CL chipsets?
> ... anyone ?)

	FWIW, I have a TI Extensa 565CD, with a Cirrus 7543 PCI video
board. 'SuperProbe' complains that

	Chipset: Cirrus (chipset unknown)
		Signature data: 30 (please report)
	Memory:  512 Kbytes
	RAMDAC:  Sierra SC1148{2,3,4} 15-bit or SC1148{5,7,9} 15/16-bit HiColor
		 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))

I've gotten XFree86 to work in 640x480x256 SVGA mode with the following
device definition in XF86Config:

	Section "Device"
		Identifier	"Cirrus Logic 7543 PCI"
		VendorName	"Cirrus"
		BoardName	"7543 PCI"
		VideoRam	1024
		Chipset		"clgd6235"	# But seems to accept most
						# other Cirrus chipsets
	EndSection

--
Andrew Arensburger, Systems guy         Center for Automation Research
arensb@cfar.umd.edu                     University of Maryland