Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 1999 20:35:04 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@jgl.reno.nv.us>
To:        <harold@hmwebhosting.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hewlett Packard Printers

>IsWill   the  Hewlett  Packard injet and laser printers operate with the
>freebsd operating system?

I have an HP LaserJet 5 and an HP DesignJet 600 plotter connected to a
FreeBSD machine at work and an HP LaserJet 2100 connected to my FreeBSD
machine at home. Both work perfectly.

I don't have any experience with HP DeskJets (except my old Windows-only
DJ660Cse, which was a Lemon...), but I understand some *do* work with
FreeBSD. Just stay away from the ones that require Windows drivers to work.
You want a printer with it's own on-board processor and which understands
PostScript, PCL, or HPGL.

>Also are there any books published on
>writing device drivers for Freebsd?

I'm not an expert, but I don't think FreeBSD supports *drivers* like Windows
does. You use the printcap file to describe your printer to the OS and
various filter scripts to manipulate the data where needed.

Any printer that can be used from plain old DOS should work. Any printer
that *requires* Windows won't...

Lot's of luck,

--Dan

**  The thing I like most about Windows 98 is...
**  You can download FreeBSD with it!