Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 09:47:22 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Nick Hibma <n_hibma@van-laarhoven.org>
To:        Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org" <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Status, USB/Olympus E-10

Could you do me a favour and recompile your kernel for kernel debugging,
with these additional lines in your kernel configuration (in
/sys/i386/conf):

	makeoptions	DEBUG=-g	#Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
	options         DDB

Then panic your machine while after it has been idle for about a minute
or two to reduce the chance of damage (boot it, leave it running for 2
minutes till the drive LED is quiet, log in as root, connect the USB
device, type sync, wait 30 seconds, type mount -> the machine panics)

At the DDB prompt that appears, type 'trace' and the machine will
display a backtrace of functions. Write down the function names.

Send me that list of functions and send me the output of

	ident /sys/dev/usb/*.[ch] /sys/cam/*.[ch] /sys/cam/scsi/*.[ch]

(the revision numbers of the files your using.

Running with a debug kernel should be no problem and not much slower
than running with a production kernel. The only problem is that the
machine no longer can be used in unattended mode as it drops into the
debugger on panic. But on a desktop machine this is not a problem
(except from when you are using X as you won't be able to see the ddb
prompt, so it will appear that the machine has simply frozen. Type 'c'
to continue).

Cheers,

Nick

--