Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 2000 20:16:00 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@chello.nl>
To:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
Cc:        wc.bulte@chello.nl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patchkits: Was :Re: SMP changes and breaking kld object module compatibility

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 01:00:28PM -0500, Richard Wackerbarth wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > > On a similar note: I think one of serious drawbacks of FreeBSD's model
> > > for updating and bugfixing the stable branch is 'make world'. It's very
> > > inefficient and cumbersome way to do this on production machines. STABLE
> > > is stable enough for us to be able to prepare binary patches, which can
> > > be applied to a system in some (known) version.
>
> > Question: are MD5 checksums the same for each and every
> > build (assuming static sources obviously) or is there some timestamp (or
> > something like that) in the generated binary. If there is, one could only
> > create binary patches relative to a -release.
>
> Here your logic is wrong. When I make a binary patch, I don't HAVE to update
> anything that is not substantively changed. Think "make all" rather than

OK. But you do have to uniquely identify the binary that needs to be
patched. So, my question is when you generate 10x the same binary, will all
these 10 binaries have the same MD5 checksum? In other words: if people did
a local buildworld once on a -release sourcetree will all the executables
have the same MD5 as the ones on the -release cdrom?

> "make world". From there, it is easy enough to generate a chain of patches
> just like CTM does for the sources.
> However, is it worth the effort? I don't know.

I assume it is worth it to some end-users. The question is if the project
can find someone to do it ;)
--
Wilko Bulte 		Powered by FreeBSD  	http://www.freebsd.org
						http://www.tcja.nl