Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2017 20:34:56 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: faq/troubleshoot.html#indefinite-wait-buffer has the direction of transfer wrong (head -r326888 /usr/src/)

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/faq/troubleshoot.html#indefinite-wait-buffer
>> reads like it is for page-out to disk:
>>=20
>>=20
>> QUOTE
>> 5.9.
>>=20
>> What does the error swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: mean?
>>=20
>> This means that a process is trying to page memory to disk, and the =
page attempt has hung trying to access the disk for more than 20 =
seconds. It might be caused by bad blocks on the disk drive, disk =
wiring, cables, or any other disk I/O-related hardware. If the drive =
itself is bad, disk errors will appear in /var/log/messages and in the =
output of dmesg. Otherwise, check the cables and connections.
>> ENDQUOTE
>>=20
>>=20
>> But the code containing the message is for "swread":
>> (head -r326888)
>=20
> If I understand correctly this is fixed by change "trying to page to"
> to "trying to page from" ?  In other words this happens on swap-in,
> not swap-out.

That is my understanding of what I reported.

Side note comparing with rpi2 (armv7, cortex-A7):

A rpi3 (aarch64, cortex-A53) got a couple of the messages
during a build of the same port: devel/cmake . In this case
it is emmc attached to the microsd-card slot via an adapter,
instead of a USB SSD stick.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net