Date:      Wed, 12 May 2004 00:31:27 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   SiI 3114 SATA support (plain disk mode)

Hi

I realize that the ATA/SATA support is evolving and ongoing.  I just
wanted to know what the current level of support is for the SiI 3114
SATA controller in -CURRENT.   I want to use it with plain old disks,
not in any raid mode.

I have a Tyan S2882 dual Opteron board running FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT
(updated May 11) running i386 version.  This machine has an Adaptec
2200S controller with two arrays.  Additionally I have several SATA
drives I want to use using the built-in SiI 3114 controller.  These are
for backup and scratch disks, etc.  The machine boots off the 2200S
controller.

Every time I enable the SiI 3114 controller (in ultra plain disk mode
if it matters), the controller is detected, but when it goes to detect
the disks, it hangs up the machine.  ata5-master and then some detect
stuff and hang.  I will have to go to the data room and reset the BIOS
to enable the controller and reboot to get the exact message.

I temporarily am using a Maxtor (Promise) PCI SATA controller card to
get two of the disks running but this is not a long term solution since
the card is not a low profile card and this is a 2U rack and I cannot
close the lid completely with the Maxtor.

Any info on the status of SiI 3114 support in i386 FreeBSD (Tyan S2882)
would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chad