Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:01:10 +0800
From:      Clive Lin <clive@CirX.ORG>
To:        John Toon <j.a.toon@btinternet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Shared Memory Issues

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 10:30:05AM +0100, John Toon wrote:
> options         SEMMNI=100
> options         SEMMNS=300
> options         SEMUME=100
> options         SEMMNU=150
> options         SHMMAXPGS=16385
Would you like to try below ?

options		SHMALL=4097
options		SHMMAX="(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
options		SHMMAXPGS=4097
options		SHMMIN=2
options		SHMMNI=512
options		SHMSEG=1024

That's all SHM* tuning I have in my kernel configuration.

I could have gnome, enlightenment, samba and postgresql7 running at
the same time without any problem...

> I omitted the SHMMAX option, as I have read that this option is now
> deprecated. Unfortunately, this kernel was not better.
Hm... long time ago I asked google about those SHM* and
I thought SHMSEG may be the key point. Because SHMSEG stands for
maximum number of shared segments per process.

> I'm currently running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE.
>
> Several questions;
>
> 1. If I upgrade to 4.1-STABLE (which I will be soon), will the shared
> memory issue disappear?
I have 5.0 and 4.1 machines with the same SHM* tuning above.
All work fine, even with some gtk theme with lots pixmaps.

> 2. I am not sure as to the exact options (and combination of options I
> should be choosing). My computer has 384MB of RAM - I want to be able to
> make *optimum* use of all that memory, and run X sessions with heavy
> loads - can someone suggest the particular values I should be using?
Hm... my experience tells me that those SHM* are not the problem.
The X-TT, netscape, mozilla, (x)emacs, cvsupd and so on are
real memory monsters.

> 3. ...and of course, how do I fix this? With the amount of RAM I've got,
> getting memory issues is silly, so I would like to resolve this.
>
> Finally, can anyone recommend any books/URLs on the SYSV shared memory
> management? I'm curious to know more about the way different
> applications utilize memory; most applications run perfectly; the GIMP
> loads up in about 1 second.
Ask google ? It's really powerful...

About the SYSV options, I have small notes about them. Though, I couldn't
make sure they are 100% correct. It just works, and I have no more interests
to dig more :->

SHMALL max shared mem system wide (in pages).
SHMMAX max shared memory segment size (bytes).
SHMMIN min shared memory segment size (bytes).
SHMMNI max num of shared segments system wide.
SHMSEG maximum number of shared segments per process.

Regards,
Clive

--
CirX - This site doesnt' exist.
9c  k9o h9 s1bg s1f, 7v  .y xqx a  sj m8r ffg1 vg5 a6 asox tmul h38.