Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2011 15:32:39 +0100
From:      "Len Conrad" <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vm ware

=>Hi,
>     I want to inquire if its possible to install freeBSD on vm ware?
>     is there any live cd iso available?

I've had no problems installing FreeBSD 6,7,8 as VM into ESXi 4.1 hypervisor.

Latest success was using the VMWare cold converter .iso to virtualize a FreeBSD 6.2 physical machine and export it to ESXi 4.1 as VM.

The trick that saves lot of pain and time post-virtualization was that we first edited /etc/fstab on the physical machine and replace the "sd" devices with "da" so FreeBSD kernel finds all the slices, then we shut it down to reboot with the cold converter.

Then we look via the VMWare console of the FreeBSD VM /var/run/dmesg.boot file to see what interface the hardware probe found and fix up /etc/rc.conf. Then

/etc/rc.d/netif restart
/etc/rc.d/routing restart

We are building a new VM with fbsd 8.1, but until then the 6.2 virtualization got us off an over-powered Pentium4 to an 8-core Xeon ESXi.

Len