Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 1997 11:17:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        black@zen.cypher.net (Ben Black)
Cc:        jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hot Swappable Kernels

> systems like KeyKOS that store all kernel state outside the kernel could
> theoretically do something like this.  if the state is stored inside the
> kernel things get REALLY ugly if you want to try this.

This is not as big a problem as it seems.  There are only a few types
of state to worry about:

1)	Boot/probe state		<can be discarded>
2)	User state			<can be paged>
3)	Kernel state not in pager	<can be paged>
4)	Kernel state in pager (or SMP)	<permanent memory footprint>

There *are* things you can do, namely multistage replacement,
that would let you play around with state in #4 as well (including
the configuration state of the components which maintain configuration
state).  Mostly copy/execute, copy to replace copier, discard initial
and other tail-chasing games.  The permanent memory footprint should
be minimized, but there is definite value in things like runtime
vector replacement (yes, self-modifying kernel code) that this would
lock out.  I would prefer to see the stuff in area #4 loaded
contiguously and small, and would be willing to accept a reboot (or
the load of a complex module to do the replacement, which would not
be written on the initial pass) to deal with #4.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.