Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 18:00:40 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        data@dreamhaven.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTP drop box
> In the shell accounts I create for my users, I've set up FTP "drop
> boxes",
[snip]
> The problem I'm running into is that when someone uploads a file, the file
> is owned by "ftp", and not by the user whose account it's going into, so
> the file doesn't count towards the user's quota.

If you are running this box as a fileserver only (ie, no interactive
accounts), you may want to look at adding the SUIDDIR option to your
kernel config.  (Be sure to look over the comments in LINT first!)

The only other thing I can think of to do is to modify FTP to do what
you want.  This actually isn't as hard as you might think.

> Or does anyone have a suggestion as to a better method of
> implementing these drop boxes than what I'm currently doing?

Are you sure that you want outsiders to be able to anonymously fill
individual users' quotas?

Happy hacking,
joelh

--