Date:      Thu, 24 May 2007 11:52:35 +0300
From:      Iulian M <eti@erata.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg 7.2 start problem

--nextPart1681665.IhdmVSim8J

On Wednesday 23 May 2007, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 11:06:46AM +0300, Iulian M wrote:
> > <joke>
> > Yep... you have to rebuild everything. Not to fix the error but just
> > because you don't read other threads on the ML
> > </joke>
> >
> > On another thread the conclusion was that installing x11-fonts/font-ali=
as
> > solved the fixed font problem.
>
> Speaking of not reading other threads, you might also look closer to
> home ;)

I admit i haven't read all the threads but when i had the "fixed font" prob=
lem=20
i've read that installing font-alias solves the problem ... and it did.=20

> Adding font-alias would just be treating the next symptom, and then
> you'll probably find that something else still doesn't work because it
> is also missing.

i know it's not that important but i like the idea of having to install onl=
y=20
the apps i use.=20

> As I've said a *number* of times already (and as is mentioned in the
> UPDATING instructions), install the x11/xorg port to obtain a complete
> installation.
>
> Kris

After 2 days of compiling on my laptop ... if i can avoid compiling anythin=
g i=20
will :)  .I still haven't updated kdevelop & kdesdk since they are already=
=20
in /usr/local and still work after the upgrade ( maybe because of=20
lib/compat )... anyway since they work they will stay like this until next=
=20
kde update.=20

If you want to be on the safe side you are right install x11/xorg ... but t=
hen=20
again ... if you really want to be on the really safe side ... stick=20
with -RELEASE ;-)

And btw i'm experiencing some crashes/locks with the new xorg ... 6.9 used =
to=20
run for weeks without problems ... 7.2 still has to reach 24h without a=20
problem - but maybe more on a new thread if i'll have more info.=20

=2D-=20
Best Regards,
Iulian Margarintescu
http://www.erata.net
eti@erata.net
(spamassassin & pf & spamd all said it's OK to make it public ;-) )
Key ID: 0x03176E5CEDEFF7AB
I prefer plain text email