Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:00:17 +0000
From:      Vince <jhary@unsane.co.uk>
To:        Ashley Moran <work@ashleymoran.me.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports with GUI configs

Ashley Moran wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was just wondering, what is the motivation behind the GUI
> configuration for some ports?  Simply put, they drive me up the wall.
> I've lost count of the number of times I've come back to a big install
> to find it hanging on a config screen.  Possibly I'm missing something.
>
> The apache22 port is the latest one to join this crowd, although there
> is an option to skip the GUI.  I'm much happier using WITH_PROXY_MODULES
> or whatever, and managing everything in pkgtools.conf.
>
> What is the best way to pre-configure GUI-configured ports?  For
> example, if I want to script an installation of several ports.
>
> I've seen this: <http://www.freshports.org/misc/dotfile/>, is it what
> I'm after?

I think what you want is the make config-recursive target which should
go through the dependencies and do the gui config for them all, (after
the first run the gui config saves the configs in
/var/db/ports/$portname/options and shouldn't prompt a second time.)

For apache22 it looks like setting WITHOUT_APACHE_OPTIONS=YES should
disable the menu and let you go back to using pkgtools.conf although I
haven't tested it.
Its possible that setting BATCH=YES and using pkgtools.conf will work
too but my understanding of the BATCH and INTERACTIVE makefile options
are a little unclear.

I agree though, I often suffer the same problem, coming back after a few
hours to a build that should have finished to find its sitting on the
first dependency.

Vince