Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 14:27:49 +0200
From:      Martin Hasenbein <mh-freebsd-questions@space.net>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gnome 1.4 and FreeBSD 4.3 / Soundproblem under FreeBSD 4.3

Hi,

I have 2 problems with FreeBSD and I hope you can help me:

1. I've installed X 4.1.0 and Gnome 1.4 from the ports.
   After a long time of compiling it was ready to start.
   When I started X everything worked fine, but after
   logging out from Gnome it hangs. The panels disappear
   but the background is still there. The only way I can get
   out of X is Ctrl - Alt - Backspace. On the Console I see
   an error-message like esd is already started ...
   This error -message is not written to the logfile so I
   can't post it here. Did anybody has similar errors?
   Can anybody help me with this?

2. I got a Soundblaster PCI 128 and configured device pcm
   into my kernel. Bit I can't get no sound. After starting
   xmms, I get error messages, that it is maybe not configured
   correct or another device is blocking the sound card.
   I made the same steps as under FreeBSD 4.2 and for that it
   worked. dmesg has the following output:
   pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0x6c00-0x6c3f irq 5 at device 11.0 on pci0

   and /dev/sndstat:
   cat /dev/sndstat
   FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jul 18 2001 17:57:17
   Installed devices:
   pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0x6c00 irq 5 (1p/1r channels duplex)

   Can I see more anywhere else? I think the question to the sound
   has been asked more often, but I don't have my eMails anymore.
   I don't think that the above problems stick together, because
   under X 3.3.6_9 and Gnome there was the same problem like under 1.
   but sound worked.

   Can anybody help me?

	/martin

---