Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 15:02:46 +0100
From:      Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>
To:        Bruce Campbell <bruce@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Cc:        Francesco Casadei <fcasadei@inwind.it>, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ata "fallback to PIO mode" on dual processor AMD systems

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 01:42:03PM -0500, Bruce Campbell wrote:
[snip]
>=20
> I don't have it enabled:
>=20
>   hw.ata.tags: 0
>=20
> I've manually set:
>=20
>   atacontrol mode 0 UDMA33 UDMA33
>=20
> and the problem has not recurred.
>=20
> --=20
> Bruce Campbell
> Engineering Computing
> CPH-2374B
> University of Waterloo
> (519)888-4567 ext 5889
>=20
>=20
> end of the original message

Yesterday I checked the drive ad6 with the Drive Fitness Test program from =
IBM.
Both quick and advanced test returned that the drive is ok. I then ran the =
test
against ad0 (the backup drive): the quick test showed that the drive was
defective because of "Excessive Shock". Re-executing the test gave same res=
ult.
I rebooted the system and disabled the S.M.A.R.T. option for the drive atta=
ched
to the motherboard's controller (i.e. the backup drive). Re-executing the q=
uick
test showed that the drive is ok!

After 16 hours of uptime and one level-0 file system dump all drives are st=
ill
using UDMA100.

If for some reason the system will fall back again to PIO4 mode I will try =
remove the two following options from the kernel:

# ISA optimization
options     AUTO_EOI_1
options     AUTO_EOI_2

If the problem won't still be solved then I will try in order the following:
- disable tagged queuing
- buy different hardware!

	Francesco Casadei
--=20
You can download my public key from http://digilander.libero.it/fcasadei/
or retrieve it from a keyserver (pgpkeys.mit.edu, wwwkeys.pgp.net, ...)

Key fingerprint is: 1671 9A23 ACB4 520A E7EE  00B0 7EC3 375F 164E B17B

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6

--IJpNTDwzlM2Ie8A6--