Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:15:07 -0500
From:      Chris Peltier <CPELTIER@iectech.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org'" <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Multiple class C's on the same wire

Hi there,
I aliased a class C address (/32) to my de interface (the interface
was already configured as being on another class C) and
added a route to the rest of the new class C using the new aliased
address as the gateway. So far so good. Some other FreeBsd
machines on the original Class C started complaining about
hosts not on the network (I guess they didn't understand some
of the arp messages about the new class C on the same wire).
They complained but operated without any problems. My
Livingston Portmasters on the other hand were a mess. All the
arp table entries (on the freebsd boxes) for the Livingstons were
marked as incomplete and all connectivity to proxy-arp customers
on them was lost. Any known problems with this? Are there
any special considerations when running multiple class C's on the
same network? FreeBSD version was 2.1.0. I do have 2.2.5 boxes
as well.

Sincerely,
                        Chris Peltier

*	email: CPELTIER@IECTECH.COM