Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:31:47 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray.stokely@windriver.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   marking up keystrokes

  There is no consistency to the way we currently mark up keystrokes
in the documentation.  A quick glance will find many different styles:

1.   CTRL+P
2.   CTRL-P
3.   ctrl-p
4.   Ctrl-P

  Sometimes these are wrapped in a <literal>, but usually not.
O'Reilly's style guide dictates the last entry,  The only book I've
got on my desk at the moment seems to switch back and forth between #2
and #4.

  I think we should standardize with #4 but #2 isn't bad either.  In
any case, I think that we should introduce some entities to keep
everything nice and easy and also allow us to give the correct
markup emphasis to keystrokes.

  &key.enter;
  &key.ctrl.p;
  &key.ctrl.alt.del;
  &key.esc.p;

  Does anyone have any objections to me adding these to freebsd.ent
and using them throughout the Handbook?  Other ideas?

	- Murray