Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2019 02:02:41 +0200
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Rebecca Cran <rebecca@bluestop.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a new efi-update-loader script: need help understanding Makefile.inc1 for "make installworld"

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 05:47:23PM -0600, Rebecca Cran wrote:
> On 3/24/19 3:01 AM, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
>

> > Can we take use of the opportunity and finally stop installing loader
> > at installworld target at all, please ?
> >
> > Add e.g. installloader target which would do whatever needed to loader.
>

> Others have suggested adding a new step as well. I'm not sure we need it
> as a make target, but perhaps a generic script such as "update-loader"
> that will call "efi-update-loader" if on a UEFI system, or "boot0cfg"
> etc. on an MBR system (i.e. it knows how to install boot/loader code for
> all systems we support)? Also, about the naming: would you prefer
> 'install' or 'update' in the script name?
I do not see the need in the script which would call another commands.

Having efi_update_loader alone would be fine, but I doubt that this
script can do much except in situations where a lot of pre-assumptions
are true.  I believe that despite all the efforts put into efibootmgr
and installer, it is hard/impossible to make the script not dangerous,
except if the whole configuration was created by our installer.

> When you say "stop installing loader", do you mean stop installing
> /boot/loader* entirely, or leave installworld installing those, but have
> updating the ESP as the extra step?
I mean 'do not touch my ESP' on installworld.