Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 12:31:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gene Nyland <bipolar@IntNet.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dip locks up

On Tue, 17 Dec 1996, Gene Nyland wrote:

> When I try to install via ftp, the "dip" program locks up as soon as I
> type "term" I've installed FreeBSD previously in this manner, but that
> was several versions ago and I no longer have that boot floppy. It is
> showing  "tun0" as the port? in the past it showed sio1 or cua1. I tried
> to set either of these but no luck.. help please..

Dip???  The new installs use user mode PPP.

At the ppp> prompt type 'show modem' and make sure everything checks out.
Use the 'set device' command to change the serial port (/dev/cuaa0 for
COM1, /dev/cuaa1 for COM2) and speed and so forth.  No matter what you
select, ppp comes up on com1, so if your modem is on com2 you'll have to
change it.

If your modem is on com3 or 4, either rewire sio1 to the proper port & irq
in -c or move your modem temporarily.